2021 NEW JERSEY EXPUNGEMENTS OF CRIMINAL RECORDS ARE TO BE FILED ELECTRONICALLY
December 21, 2020
Submitted by New Jersey Criminal Lawyer, Jeffrey Hark
As of December 8, 2020, New Jersey has updated its expungement law, with the Supreme Court of New Jersey requiring all parts of the judiciary to expand its eCourts electronic filing program to encompass expungement petitions. The Order states as follows:
- Petitioners shall apply for expungements electronically via the eCourts Expungement System, consistent with the requirements ofN.J.S.A. 2C:52-10.1 (“System to Electronically File Expungement Applications”).
- Notices of the expungement petition shall be transmitted via the eCourts Expungement System to the county prosecutor and other law enforcement authorities, if applicable, consistent with N.J.S.A. 2C:52- 10.1 (a)(2).
- Within 60 days of notice of the petition, as required by N.J.S.A. 2C:52- 10.1 (b ), the county prosecutor shall submit a response via the eCourts Expungement System, which response shall indicate whether that office does or does not object to the petition, and setting forth the reasons for any objection.
- Notice of any objection submitted by the county prosecutor shall be electronically transmitted via the eCourts Expungement System to the petitioner and to the Office of the Public Defender.
- Within 30 days of notice of any objection by the county prosecutor, the Petitioner or counsel on their behalf may submit a reply via the eCourts Expungement System.
- Copies of an expungement order shall be available via the eCourts Expungement System to the person who is the subject of the expungement petition, counsel for the petitioner, and applicable law enforcement and criminal justice agencies.
- The provisions of this order shall be effective pursuant to a timetable to be established by the Administrative Director of the Courts and shall remain in effect pending adoption of conforming rule amendments.
If you have a criminal record and believe you may be eligible for an expungement, contact the experienced attorneys at Hark & Hark today. Expungements have never been easier to obtain. The process is seamless and very cost effective for the benefit of wiping clean your criminal history. In light of COVID-19, we are slashing fees and offering manageable payment plans for expungement petitions.
At Hark & Hark, we represent clients for any case in any county in New Jersey including Atlantic, Burlington, Camden, Cape May, Cumberland, Essex, Gloucester, Mercer, Ocean, and Salem counties. We represent clients in all towns in New Jersey, including Newark, Jersey City, Paterson, Elizabeth, Edison, Woodbridge, Lakewood, Toms River, Hamilton, Trenton, Clifton, Camden, Brick, Cherry Hill, Passaic, Middletown, Union City, Old Bridge, Gloucester Township, East Orange, Bayonne, Franklin Township, North Bergen, Vineland, and Union.